19 January 2009

Extreme Makeover Home Edition in El Paso!

Last week it was revealed that Extreme Makeover was here in El Paso! They are building a home for Maria Ruiz and her family. What a beautiful soul! She and her family had started building their dream home. When they were half way done they decided that there were people in Juarez who were in more need than them and they halted construction on their house to dedicate themselves to helping others. Last year she received a CNN Hero of the Year award for the charity work she does in Juarez. To read more about this award click here. To read more about her click here. What a beautiful example of quiet service. I had never heard of this woman until now, and she has touched me so much! She deserves all of this and more.

I've also been very impressed by the show. Yes I've watched it here and there, and yes, it always makes me cry, but let me tell you...yesterday we had the opportunity to visit the home, and it was quite a sight! Seeing all that goes into the show, all the volunteers, and these people working to help this one family, you just can't help but feel the spirit! It was very overwhelming. It was such a beautiful feeling and sight to see such service in action! I only wished I could of helped in some way! I guess I'll just show my support by being there and donating my cans.


In order to get to the house you need to take a shuttle. This was our driver! He was very willing to have his picture taken! He was a really nice guy.

The entrance! How exciting! And...........

Here's the house!
It's so beautiful. I love the color of the shutters. How exciting for this family!
Volunteers working into the night.

Some of the people who showed up to watch.

Hey it's Paul DiMeo, one of the designers from the show! You can hardly tell but it really is him. He did wave to us but my camera was too slow.

Just being nosy.

Today they are going to Move That Bus!! I hope I can get some good pictures! The family is going to be showing up at 3pm but they are suggesting people get there at 10am. We'll see how Danny does. I hate to do this but I might have to buy him some french fries or something! Horrible I know. He won't mind at all though. How exciting!! I can't wait. The house isn't even for me but I am just so excited for this family. I can't wait!!

4 comments:

Connie said...

How neat is that!?!

Reality T.V. at it's finest! There is a guy in my ward that is on the Biggest Loser! I'd never watched it before...but, I am now. Then we discovered his sister is on of Ken's friends in Lubbock (same ward). Small world.

The Navarro's said...

Wow that is a small world! What are the chances? Which one is he?

carla said...

that is totally exciting. what a beautiful house.

--Arnnette said...

How beautiful, I love the blue shutters too. I remember when they came to Gilbert. The sad thing is that the taxes are usually to high afterwards for the family to continue to live in their home.
Da@%&$* Taxes!