13 October 2008

Manrique Gonzales "Papa Lique"

So it seems I may have sparked a little interest regarding my great-grandfather and the pinto bean. Unfortunately, he passed away before I was born so I never had the opportunity to meet him. From everything I've read and heard, I'm proud to be part of his heritage. He is my paternal grandmother's father.

My sister, Arnnette found a website with some great information about him. For any who are interested click here. Thank goodness for the Internet! What a wonderful tool to use for genealogy. This obituary was taken from this website.



**********************************************************************************************

OBITUARY
Pioneer, Developer Of Pinto Bean, Manrique Gonzalez "Papa Lique" Dies In El Paso
El Paso 1976 Newspaper Article



Manrique R. Gonzalez, pioneer agricultural engineer in the U.S. Southwest and northern Mexico who gained fame as a developer of the pinto bean, died Monday [August 2, 1976] at Providence Hospital of an illness.

Mr. Gonzalez, 96, gained prominence in this country just after World War I when, as a county agricultural agent in Las Vegas, N.M., he and two associated began experimenting in the cultivation and hybridization of legumes, one of which resulted in the pinto bean.
According to a son, Dr. Ignacio Ernesto Gonzalez of San Francisco, Mr. Gonzalez became associated with U.S. Agriculture Department Experimental Division after his graduation in 1913 from Utah State Agricultural College.

After a number of years of research and experimental activities in New Mexico and Colorado as a county agent and with ties to the U.S. Agriculture Department, Mr. Gonzalez went to Mexico where he developed the horticultural system for that republic and for the State of Chihuahua.
Actually, according to Dr. Gonzalez, who was in El Paso Monday to be at his father's bedside, the elder Gonzalez first became widely known in much of Mexico and in parts of the U.S. Southwest for his efforts on behalf of American Mormons who were living in Mexico at the time of the Revolution.

Mr. Gonzalez had been educated and reared in his youth by Mormons in Colonia Dublan, Chihuahua, where he had found refuge after leaving his home at the age of 14 in Nadadores, Coahuila, according to Dr. Gonzalez. When the Revolution began, Dr. Gonzalez said, his father, having rapport with Pancho Villas' forces, was able to provide for the safety of Colonia Dublan Mormons as they left the country to come to the United States.
In his Nadadores adobe home, the boy was third of a family of 16. When he came to the colony of Mormons, they sent him to the Colonia Juarez Academy (run by the Mormon Stake). He worked to pay for his studies and keep, and then went to Utah State, Dr. Gonzalez said in recounting the background of his father.

For half a century, then, Mr. Gonzalez continued his research and experimental activities which brought him fame. On his retirement, he went to live in Colonia Dublan.
Dr. Gonzalez, who is chairman of the department of nuclear medicine and chief of pathology at French Hospital in San Francisco and is professor of medicine at the University of California there, is one of six surviving children of the deceased and his widow, Mrs. Regina Palacios de Gonzalez.

The others are a son, Roberto Gonzalez of Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, and daughters, Mrs. Lilia Brown and Mrs. Regina Ayala, both of El Paso, and Mrs. Elvira Avena and Mrs. Catalina Thompson, both of Colonia Dublan.
Surviving children by a previous marriage [to Sarah Olive Merrell], Dr. Gonzalez said, are Mrs. Gladys Martineau of Walnut Creek, Calif. and Francis Gardner, Julia Skowsen and Anthony "Tony" Merrill Gonzalez, all of Phoenix, Bentley Gonzalez of Corvallis, Oregon, and Orson Merrill Gonzalez of Boise, Idaho. Other survivors are 32 grandchildren, 45 great-grandchildren and a great-great-grandchild.

The body of Mr. Gonzalez will be on view at Harding-Orr & McDaniel Pershing Chapel Tuesday and Wednesday. Funeral services will be Thursday [August 5, 1976] at 2 p.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Colonia Dublan. Burial will be in Colonia Dublan Cemetery.

18 comments:

Globe Trotters said...

THAT is so cool! My favorite was trying to grow a pinto bean plant when I was little. Who knew your great-grandfather made that possible for all the little El Paso school kids to do in science class :)

Connie said...

Thanks for the update...Kendal and I were hoping Stone was related to the pinto bean king...dang! Very cool anyway :)

The Jessups said...

That's so cool!! Cliff's a little disappointed it's on your paternal side. So cool!

carla said...

So, did he become very wealthy because of this?

Anonymous said...

Manrique was my great-grandfather, too! I found the other website last night and started looking around. What floors me is that he's the spitting image of my grandfather, my father, and my brother, Clark.

We are the grandchildren of Charles Bentley Merrill Gonzales through Manrique's first marriage to Olive Merrell. I didn't know that he was still alive in 1976. If I did, I would have visited him. We didn't really know much about him and thought that he might have fallen away from the church, thus causing the breakup of the marriage. It seems it was the exact opposite! My father and grandfather weren't active in the church and I didn't know anything about it until I was 18 when I was baptized.

It's exciting to see that there's other relatives out there!

Tom Merrill
Martinsburg, WV

Unknown said...

He is my great grandfather too! I am Julia Skousen's grand daughter, Julia Brock My brother Reuben and I were curious about family stories so we googled him. He died before we were born but he outlived all of our grandparents except for Julia and Julia Skousen died in 2001. Let's hear it for longevity! AND Manrique looks just like my father, Robert Brock and my brother Steven. It's a small world!

Julia Brock
Longmont, CO

Reuben Brock
Phoenix, AZ

Anonymous said...

This is my great grandfather as well, my dad just asked me to google him and this came up. Manrique is my father's father's father.. I love when people use the word "beaner" because it makes me think of him, we are the descendants of the original "beaner" :) The only thing I would suggest is correcting it to Gonzalez not Gonzales ;)

C. Gonzalez
Arizona

Anonymous said...

catalina thompson is my grandmother and papa lique is my great grandfather
my name is manuel thompson

Anonymous said...

catalina thompson is my grandmother and papa lique is my great grandfather
my name is manuel thompson

The Navarro's said...

How neat to meet family through here. Well my maiden name is Ayala. My fathers name is Arnulfo Ayala and my grandmother is Regina Ayala. Manrique was her father.

Danny Beach said...

Manrique Gonzalez is also my great grandfather. My grandfather was the oldest son of he and Olive Merrell (his first marriage in the USA). His name was Merrell Gonzalez. In the early 1930's he left the west coast and was never heard from again by the family there. Many thought that he was dead.

During the depression he met my Grandmother in Memphis, TN who was a widow with two children (daughters). He was an Iron Worker and had wandered all his life until he met my grandmother in Memphis. They got married and had my mother. He changed his name to "Henry Merrell" and changed his age adding 10 years. My siblings and I knew them as "Pawpaw & Grandma Merrell" growing up.

My mother, who is his only biological daughter, grew up with vague stories of the Morman church; being born in a covered wagon around Snowflake, AZ; of his siblings; and "the old man" (referring to Manrique Gonzalez) ... spun in tall tales of his youth and adventures on jobs all over the United States as he traveled doing iron work - but he kept a tight seal on his true origins and background our family here. My mother was invited by a high school friend who was Morman and moved to Salt Lake City to come visit her there when she was in her 60's. Understand, my mother knew nothing of her own heritage through him.

When she got to Utah, her friend convinced her to go look at some kind of archive that the church had set up there to possibly find out more about her family background through her father. They found a book that recorded information about her dad and the family heritage. That is when she found out about Manrique and Olive as well as her dad's true identity and age. It was like a floodgate opened up for my mom of what she had been void of all of her life. My grandfather (her dad) was in the early stages of dementia and didn't fully understand what was going on.

Mom contacted and went out to meet the long lost family that was left for her to see and meet. The younger sister, Patches, actually flew out to see my grandfather thinking he had been dead all these years. He died in 2000 at what we thought was the age of 106, but was actually 96. My grandmother, his wife, died the summer before in 1999 at the true age of 90.

We discovered through the book my mom obtained through the church that there had been an apparent on going dispute between "Tone" and my grandfather. When they got arrested in Los Angeles, CA for a fight, Olive (their mother) only bailed out "Tone" and not my grandfather. We think that must have been the straw that broke the camel's back in regard to leaving his family and moving east where he met my grandmother - had my mother - who had me and my brother and sister - who now live happily ever after in an entire different world than our western relatives.

Believe it or not ... that's the short of the story. There is much more that a whole novel could be written. My mother passed away after a 10 year battle with Breast Cancer last year and we buried her on Mother's Day beside our dad in Fairfield Bay, Arkansas.

I would be interested in contact with anyone of the family out west. My oldest brother Jim is now sick and my sister and I are the only ones who know this story passed on to us through the book found and the stories we know from growing up. My email is: dannybeach@ncol.net

Seriously, would love to hear from you. God bless.

Anonymous said...

By the way ... My grandfather looks just exactly like his father, Monrique Gonzalez.

Danny Beach
dannybeach@ncol.net

Anonymous said...

I am a great grandson of Manrique's younger brother, Andrés Carlos Gonzalez. I had forgotten that my dad had told me about Manrique developing the pinto bean, so when I was reminded today I did some googling and found this page. Pretty cool to read his obituary and other information. I'm grateful to him not only for the pinto bean, but for introducing our family to the Gospel.

Ryan said...

My name is Ryan. I write a e-newsletter named Las Colonias about the Mormon Colonies in Mexico.

This month's edition includes Manrique's history. You can read the history here.

You can subscribe to the newsletter as well.
Thanks, Ryan

Anonymous said...

I’m Manrique González great granddaughter, my Grandpa is Roberto Gonzalez son of Papalique and Mama Nina that’s how we call them. I went to Academia Juarez were papalique was the first Mexican that study there and now my oldest son that we named Manrique is in the same school !! He is the 5th generation that has the privilege too study in that amazing church school , he gets to see papalique at the hall of fame they have in the school ��

Hugo Gonzalez said...

Manrique is my great great great grandfather. My direct abuelo is Robert Gonzalez. Who fathered Robert Gonzalez (named after himself), Manrique Gonzalez (named after this article) Hugo Gonzalez (my father) Sophia Gonzalez, Marisela Gonzalez, and Coca Gonzalez. All my tios and tias. I’m named after my father Hugo, and my brothers middle name is Manrique. Crazy how the Gonzalez family lineage is so dope. My father and grandparents grew up on colonia dublan. I visit frequently. I grew up LDS but veered away recently. Would love to hear from all of you!

Anonymous said...

Manrique is also my great grandfather! I am the grandaughter of Orson Merrill, the youngest child of Olive and Manrique.

cocoNINO said...

Manrique is also my great grandfather. I too am a granddaughter of Orson, the youngest of Olive and Manrique